Indian And International Jokes Only Here On jokes-humor-info.blogspot.com/. Get International jokes, SMS jokes, fun articles, Indian Jokes, Hindi Jokes and more....Here you can get more and more jokes, Humor. Check all the blogs for more fun.....

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

A Shivering Reminder Of WWII

Yesterday morning, I was toweling off after a shower, when I begin shaking and shivering uncontrollably. With great difficulty I managed to get some clothes on and made my way to the indoor patio.

Shirley brought tons of covers, which while they didn't stop my shivering; they were certainly welcomed. Most of the shivering came from within, hello hot tea! Fortunately this bout lasted several hours, not nearly as long as days in the past.

Yes, malaria was just a part of spending time in Pacific islands. Quinine, a bitter-tasting drug made from cinchona bark wasn't always available but the mosquitoes were!

Malaria is an infectious disease caused by a parasite that is transmitted by the bite of infected mosquitoes. Common in tropical countries, the disease is characterized by recurring chills and fever.

In late 1944, I traveled by train and bus to Albany, in upstate New York; to spend a weekend with a charming lady friend.

Too much snow on the ground for anything to carry me to her house, so with my wool overcoat and low cut dress shoes off I went for a little 6 mile hike through the snow.

Guess I really wanted to see her again and shucks, what was a little jaunt in snow drifts to greet that lady.

A Marine in a-1 condition wouldn't let the snow stop him, especially if he was more than half way nuts like I was.

True to my calling I arrived at the appointed house and found the lady waiting. Was I cold? It would take strong words to tell you how frozen I was.

She quickly put me in bed, where I remained absolutely out of my head for the three days of my leave!

Oh well, sometimes it feels good to remember some of those 'good ole days'; although I will say the way this turned out wasn't at all what I had in mind while trudging through those snow drifts.

Labels: